Back in 2010 when Facebook launched email addresses for your profile, the new service didn’t exactly set the world on fire.
That all changed this week when Facebook quietly changed the default email address displayed on your profile from the email address you registered to its version of email@example.com.
Opinion about Facebook email has finally started to heat up, but for all the wrong reasons. Not surprisingly, a lot of Facebook users are cross. Really cross. Yes, Facebook is a free service and has the right to make any changes it wants. But people are understandably disappointed that this was done in a way that feels more stealth than supportive.
The good news is it’s easy to change the default email displayed back to your own address or hide an email address completely from your profile:
1. Click “About” on your profile (in the text under your picture on a timeline profile) and scroll down to the contact info section
2. Click “Edit” to display a list of registered emails
3. Click on the circle to the right of your Facebook email address and change the setting to “Hidden From Timeline”
4. There is also a circle next to your own email address the real one you actually use. Click on this circle and choose either “Shown on Timeline” or “Hidden from Timeline”.
5. Click “Save” and you’re done!
Now we can all go back to griping about our timelines.
Jillian Bowen is the social media manager for CPA Australia and responsible for the strategy, content development and management of platforms reaching an audience of more than 35,000 people.